Special Edition: Kooth Counselling and Training
In this special edition episode of the Counselling Tutor Podcast, Rory Lees-Oakes speaks with Phil Harvey, the clinical lead for training at Kooth PLC with several years of experience as an online counsellor at Kooth, and John Stones, who works with Kooth’s clinical governance team and supports Kooth’s practitioners with their training and development.
This episode of Counselling Tutor Podcast is sponsored by
- WebHealer are the go-to provider of websites for private practitioners in the UK.
- Established over 20 years, WebHealer offers a non-technical and fully supported service to help therapists grow their private practice.
- Just one customer from your website each year pays for their service.
Go to WebHealer.net and use coupon CT100 for £100 off their "Do it for me" service.
Kooth is an online platform that works closely with the NHS and allows its users to access free, safe, and anonymous support from trained practitioners.
Some key information about Kooth discussed in this episode includes:
- Kooth is a service aimed at 10- to 25-year-olds to provide support for children and young people. They also have a service called Qwell, in order to provide support for adults.
- Both Kooth and Qwell are free for anyone to use.
- From a counselling perspective, there are a few aspects to the anonymity that can be difficult to adapt to such as missing body language, tone, and voice.
- However, from a client perspective, this is actually really valuable and reduces the feeling of being stigmatised or judged.
- This may sometimes lead to a user accidentally oversharing, but in this case, the user has the option to create a new account, and once again become anonymous.
- How much the user gives away is completely in their hands.
- Training – for practitioners working with Kooth there are clear safeguarding procedures, training on how to build rapport, and guidance on how you use the typed word to define your personality to the service user.
- Kooth can also work to get users ready for face-to-face counselling, offer online counselling as an intervention, and do holding work in support of GPs.
Get on-demand Certified CPD that is implementable in your practice
Counsellor CPD Library
- Over 150 hours of on-demand CPD lectures to help you stay current with your CPD ethical requirements
- Support, and be supported, by thousands of other counsellors as a member of the exclusive online community.
- Access your learning anytime you want ... anywhere you choose ... using any device type — desktop or mobile.
Links and Resources
Advanced Certificate in Counselling Supervision
Basic Counselling Skills: A Student Guide
Counselling Theory in Practice: A Student Guide
Online and Telephone Counselling: A Practitioner’s Guide